Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (old, no longer used) tragœdy
- (countable) A tragedy is a disaster that usually involves someone getting injured or dying and can affect the lives of many others.
- The 9/11 attacks was a tragedy in the history of United States.
- (countable) A tragedy is play or written work in which the main character is destroyed by his own weakness or things that he can not deal with.
- Antonym: comedy
- In Shakepeare's tragedy Macbeth, Macbeth is destroyed by his own ambition and greed.