- (transitive) To start doing an activity often.
- I've taken up knitting.
- I wish to take up mathematics.
- (transitive) To talk about a problem or issue.
- Let's take this up with the manager.
- (transitive) To carry or something somewhere.
- Can you take this up to the front desk?
- (transitive) To occupy; to fill space or time.
- The books on finance take up three shelves.
- All my time is taken up with looking after the kids.
- (transitive) To shorten a piece of cloth or clothing by hemming it.
- If we take up the sleeves a bit, that shirt will look much better on you.
- (transitive) To accept (an offer or favor).
- Should we take them up on their offer to help us move?
- (intransitive) To continue or resume something.
- Let's take up where we left off.