Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sum is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- A sum is an amount of money, usually a large amount.
- The company had been spending large sums on publicity and advertising.
- It allows the corporation to pay its workers a lump sum of up to £37,000 on leaving.
- The sum is the total of adding or subtracting several numbers or amounts.
- The total output doesn't equal the sum of the inputs because the system is not 100% efficient.
- The sum of the three numbers will always equal 10.
- If you sum up, you conclude or bring together the main points.
- She sums up the situation by saying that the new family is never the same as the biological family.