Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) or (singular) Relief is the good feeling you have when something bad is finished or didn't happen.
- Most people are just breathing a sigh of relief that he's gone.
- It was such a relief to see her safe.
- I smiled with relief and thanks.
- Relief flooded his body. He was safe.
- (uncountable) Relief is help given to people who have suffered disasters, such as an earthquake.
- The government recently announced it was donating $150,000 to the Red Cross for disaster relief.
- The government was slow in allowing foreign aid and foreign relief workers into the affected area.
- Medicine, food and other relief supplies are blocked by closed border crossings.
- Relief operations are running smoothly.
- Our agency provided emergency relief after the 2005 earthquake.
- The U.S.O.C. has donated 1,000 tents to help the relief effort in China's Sichuan Province.
- (uncountable) Pain relief is the reduction of pain.
- After such injuries, pain relief is often the patient's priority.
- Some patients return to the office over and over again, hoping to find relief for every symptom.
- Exercising in warm water often brings immediate relief from pain.
- A person might enjoy temporary relief from stress by playing games.
- (uncountable) Financial relief is the reduction of debt or taxes, or receiving money.
- Tony Blair, is encouraging leaders of the richest nations to consider debt relief as a form of aid to impoverished nations.
- Let's get tax relief, a middle class tax cut, for ordinary working families.
- The majority of these people are poor and seeking economic relief for their families.
- (uncountable) Relief is somebody who will take over your difficult job to give you a rest.
- 2,0000 relief fighters arrived too late to save the city.
- Who needs relief pitchers? Let the starting pitcher finish every game.
- (uncountable) Comic relief is something funny during a serious or difficult time.
- A coworker who provides steady emotional support and comic relief can help you get through the day.
- (countable & uncountable) A relief or bas relief is a kind of decoration in which a shape is raised above the surface.
- (uncountable) If something stands out in relief, it is very noticeable.
- His face and his right hand stand out in sharp relief against the blue background.