- (UK) enPR: rī-fû, IPA (key): /rɪˈfɜː/
- (US) enPR: rī-fûr, IPA (key): /rɪˈfɝ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: re‧fer
- (transitive) If you refer to something, you talk or write about it, usually in passing.
- The teacher referred to some research, but I didn't know what he meant.
- The media refers to the war as "the troubles".
- He referred to her only by her first name.
- (intransitive) If you refer to a book or other source of information, you check it.
- You should refer to the dictionary to find the meaning.
- (intransitive) If refers to , is about .
- The numbers refer to last year's sales.
- (transitive) If you refer to , you send to for help or to be dealt with.
- He referred me to the science department.