Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (uncountable) Mercy is the quality of kindness and forgiveness that stops you from harming or punishing somebody who you could harm or punish.
- Antonym: cruelty
- The king would always prefer to show mercy, even to his enemies.
- Please, sir, have mercy on an old man.
- (countable) A mercy is a situation that it makes you feel lucky, usually because something worse didn't happen.
- Synonym: blessing
- It was a small mercy that the storm didn't last long.
- A mercy mission or journey is one to help people who are in great need.
- They took food and set out on a mercy mission to find survivors.
- If you are at the mercy of somebody or something, you have no control over your situation.
- I hope the trip will be nice, but we're at the mercy of the weather.
- You use mercy or mercy me to show surprise.
- Mercy! You haven't come here alone, have you?