- (US) IPA (key): /məˈnuːvɚ/
- (UK) IPA (key): /məˈnuːvə/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: ma‧noeu‧vre
- A manoeuvre is a planned action with a series of stages. It gets to a goal not directly, but by steps. If in a contest, it may involve deception, with the purpose hidden as long as possible. A manoeuvre may be simple or extremely complex.
- A skilfull or subtle plan.
- His plan was a clever manoeuvre.
- (US) (transitive) If something is manoeuvred, it is moved somewhere else, generally with difficulty.
- She manoeuvred her car into the parking space.
- (transitive) If someone manoeuvres a person, they manipulate, plot, guide, steer or manage them purposefully.
- She manoeuvred him into a position where he had to do what she wanted.
- (intransitive) To do the action cleverly.
- She is manoeuvring.