Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Canada) IPA: /ˈliː.vɚ/
- (UK) IPA: /ˈliː.və/
Audio (RP) (file)
- Hyphenation: lever
- (US) IPA: /ˈlɛ.vɚ/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: le‧ver, lev‧er
- Homophones: leaver
- A lever is a simple tool, a bar resting on a fixed point. If one end of the bar is pushed, the force is used at the other end.
- A lever is a long handle used to operate a machine.
- The signalman pulled on the lever to change the railway signals.
- Lever is to use something to do something else.
- He used his charm as a lever to get past the guards at the gate.
- (transitive) To lever is to move or lift something with lever.
- She used a long pole to lever the large rock out of the way.