- (usually before a noun) The lesser of two things is the one with the smaller size, importance, duration, etc.
- Synonym: less
- Antonym: greater
- They made a lot of money, while we took home lesser sums.
- A lesser man would have given up.
- Plants and animals with names like lesser X are typically smaller than a closely related species, often called greater X.
- The lesser prairie-chicken is a medium to large bird, striped white and brown, slightly smaller and paler than its near relative the greater prairie chicken (T. cupido).
- Places with names like Lesser X are typically south of a place named Greater X or in the south part of X.
- We sailed north from the Lesser Antilles to the Greater Antilles.