- (UK) IPA (key): /hɑʊˈεvə/, SAMPA: /haU"Ev@/
- (US) enPR: /houĕvʹər/, IPA (key): /haʊˈɛvɚ/, SAMPA: /haU'Ev@`/
Audio (US) (file)
- (sentence adverb) You use however to show that there is a contrast between two ideas.
- It was very long. However, it was not long enough.
- In 1966, there just wasn't enough money. The next year, however, the economic situation was already improving.
- The price has gone down around the world. The Japanese price has remained unchanged, however.
- (relative) You used however to say the size, amount, or other quality is not important.
- You call me however late you arrive.
- We should care about all living things, however small.
- I have to buy it, however much it costs.
- (relative) in any way
- However you say it, it means the same thing.
- You can do it however you like.
- (question) how
- However were you able to do it?