Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) enPR: /hōld/, IPA (key): /həʊld/, SAMPA: /h@Uld/
- (US) enPR: /hōld/, IPA (key): /hoʊld/, SAMPA: /hoUld/
Audio (US) (file)
Third person singular
- (transitive) When you hold something, you put it in your hand and keep it there.
- (transitive) When you hold something, you keep it in one place and do not let it move away.
- (transitive) If you hold someone accountable/responsible/liable, you put the responsibility for something on them.
- It's not clear if parents should be held responsible for the problems their children cause.
- We are trying to finally get tobacco companies held responsible for killing people.
- (intransitive)/(linking) If something holds true/good, it is or continues to be true.
- The drug extends life for mice. If this holds true in humans as well, it will be a great advance.
- He might be able to do it, but I don't think that holds for most men.
- (linking) If you hold somebody prisoner/hostage/captive, you do not allow them to go free.
- Police in Luxembourg say a gunman holding 29 children hostage is demanding a mini-bus to take him to the airport.