- (countable) An expense is something for which you spend money.
- Food is a huge expense for many people around the world.
- (countable & uncountable) An expense is an amount of money that you spend.
- If your income is less than your expenses, you have a serious problem.
- The company paid all of his expenses when he was in Shanghai.
- The building was repaired at great expense.
- If you do at the expense of , hurts because it makes have less money, less time, less social status, etc.
- She often makes jokes at her own expense.
- We have to decide whether safety at the expense of freedom is worth the cost.