- (US) IPA (key): /ɪnˈkaʊntɚ/ or /ɪŋˈkaʊntɚ/
- (UK) IPA (key): /ɪnˈkaʊntə/ or /ɪŋˈkaʊntə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: coun‧ter
- (countable) An encounter is a meeting, usually one that you don't expect.
- Synonym: meet
- I had a pleasant encounter yesterday: an old friend of mine visited me.
- My job was really the result of a chance encounter with an old friend, now my boss.
- (countable) An encounter is when two people or groups meet to play a game or fight a battle.
- I hope there will be no encounter with other soldiers tomorrow.
- This is the fifth World Cup encounter between these two teams.
- (transitive) If you encounter problems, difficulties, etc., you experience them.
- When he did encounter problems, he always knew how to fix them.
- (transitive) If you encounter someone, you meet someone, usually unexpectedly.
- In the store I encountered my teacher.
- (transitive) If you encounter someone, you meet them to play a game or fight a battle.