Encounter is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: en‧coun‧ter
- An encounter is a meeting, usually one that you don't expect.
- I had a pleasant encounter yesterday: an old friend of mine visited me.
- My job was really the result of a chance encounter with an old friend, now my boss.
- An encounter is when two people or groups meet to play a game or fight a battle.
- I hope there will be no encounter with other soldiers tomorrow.
- This is the fifth World Cup encounter between these two teams.
- (transitive) If you encounter problems, difficulties, etc., you experience them.
- When he did encounter problems, he always knew how to fix them.
- (transitive) If you encounter someone, you meet someone, usually unexpectedly.
- In the store I encountered my teacher.
- (transitive) If you encounter someone, you meet them to play a game or fight a battle.