Jump to navigation Jump to search
- If a place is desolate, it is deserted; nobody lives in that place.
- The area around the cave is desolate and filled with jagged rocks.
- If a place is desolate, it is barren; nothing lives there; it is lifeless.
- The tundra is a desolate place.
- If a place is desolate, it is not fit to use or live in; it is unfit for use.
- If something is desolate, it is dismal or dreary.
- The abandoned house looks very desolate.
- If something or someone is desolate, they are sad, forlorn, or hopeless.
- (transitive) If you desolate a place, you devastate it; you lay waste to it.
- The city was desolated during the war.
- (transitive) If you desolate something, you abandon it; you forsake it.
- (transitive) If you desolate a place, you take away any life living there.
- (transitive) If you desolate someone, you make them sad, forlorn, or hopeless.