Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA: /ˈdɛlɪɡət/
- IPA: /ˈdɛlɪˌɡeɪt/
- (countable) A delegate is a person authorized to act as representative for one or more other people, especially at a conference or in government.
- He's attending the Democratic Convention as a delegate from the great state of Ohio.
- A majority of the delegates voted against joining with that group.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you delegate a job or the power to do that job, it is yours, but you give it to someone in a lower position.
- As more decisions on more complicated matters have to be made, more power has to be delegated to lower-ranking personnel.