Commission is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) A commission is a group of people who work together to research or manage something for a government.
- She was recently appointed to head the European commission on climate change.
- (countable & uncountable) A commission is money that a salesperson receives for each sale.
- You may have to pay commission to convert the dollars into local currency on your travels.
- (uncountable) The official appointment of an officer in a nation's armed forces.
- Brummell resigned his commission when his regiment was posted to Manchester.
- (uncountable) A commission is a task to be undertaken.
- My commission was only to deliver this message.
- (transitive) If you commission someone to do or create something, you formally ask them to do it.
- The report commissioned by the Department of Health in 1989, contains guidelines on how best to manage and organise waiting lists.