Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (usually before a noun) About the citizens of a country, especially as opposed to the government, army, police, religion, etc.
- One of the most important civil rights is freedom of speech.
- In the Civil War, the Red Army had blocked off the northern part of the Ukraine from the hungry south.
- The state is connected to civil society through aspects other than its role in administration
- The government had run out of money to pay civil servants.
- This comes under civil, rather than criminal, law.
- The bridge would be one of the largest civil engineering projects in the country.
- If someone is civil, they are polite but not friendly.
- Mum had been civil to me since the fight but something had gone between us.