- chalk is part of the Basic English 850.
- (uncountable) a soft, white, powder-like limestone
- The men mine chalk in the hills near my house.
- (countable) a piece of chalk, or more usually, processed compressed chalk, that is used for drawing and for writing on a blackboard; teachers at school may use chalk to write on a blackboard
- John wrote his name on the blackboard with chalk.
- There are many pieces of chalk on the floor.
- The shop at the corner of the street sells many chalks.
- To put chalk on something, such as the tip of a billiards cue.
- To write something using chalk; this is often done on a blackboard.
- To use powdered chalk to put the lines on a sports field.