Jump to navigation Jump to search
- chalk is part of the Basic English 850.
- enPR: chôk
- (UK) IPA (key): /ʧɔːk/, SAMPA: /tSO:k/
- (US) IPA (key): /ʧɑk/, SAMPA: /tSAk/
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) Chalk is a soft, white, powder-like limestone.
- The men mine chalk in the hills near my house.
- (countable) Chalk is a piece of chalk, or more usually, processed compressed chalk, that is used for drawing and for writing on a blackboard; teachers at school may use chalk to write on a blackboard.
- John wrote his name on the blackboard with chalk.
- There are many pieces of chalk on the floor.
- The shop at the corner of the street sells many chalks.
- To put chalk on something, such as the tip of a billiards cue.
- To write something using chalk; this is often done on a blackboard.
- To use powdered chalk to put the lines on a sports field.