- (UK) IPA (key): /ˈbæŋ.krəpt/ or /ˈbæŋ.krʌpt/
- (US) IPA (key): /ˈbæŋk.rəpt/ or /ˈbæŋk.rʌpt/
Audio (UK) (file)
- If you are bankrupt you have declared bankruptcy (protection by law from debt you cannot pay).
- I don't have to pay now because I am bankrupt.
- (informal) If you are bankrupt you have no money.
- I have been bankrupt all summer.
- (informal) If you are bankrupt of something, you do not have that thing. For example, someone who is "morally bankrupt" has no morals.
- We can't survive if our country becomes morally bankrupt.