Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (uncountable) The background is what can be seen or heard behind other things that are closer or louder.
- I was talking to Mary, but I heard the phone ringing in the background.
- The play was good, and I especially liked the backgrounds that were used.
- (countable & uncountable) The background of a person is his/her history.
- The police checked his background to see if he had been in jail.
- Background is a compound word: back + ground
- (transitive) To make a background.