- (linking) If something appears a certain way, it looks or seems that way.
- At first glance, this would appear to be true.
- The problems appear likely to continue.
- school size and class size do not appear to be important factors affecting progress on test scores.
- (intransitive) If something appears, it comes into sight.
- She was studying when her mother appeared in the doorway.
- Suddenly, out of nowhere, Lars appeared next to her.
- (intransitive) If something appears in a book, movie, TV program, etc., it is in it.
- He has appeared in over 100 movies.
- The word appears nowhere in this book.
- His articles have appeared in the New York Times.