Jump to navigation Jump to search
Advocate is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) An advocate is someone who recommends something.
- She is a strong advocate for children's right to education.
- (countable) An advocate is someone who speaks for someone else, especially a lawyer in court.
- Volunteers are needed to act as advocates for people with mental health problems.
- Only qualified lawyers may act as advocates in the Crown Court.
- (transitive) If you advocate something, you recommend it.
- We wish for freedom, but cannot advocate the use of violence.
- The Government wants to adopt the approach advocated by Professor David Pearce.