Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /ˈlɔːjə(r)/ or /ˈlɔɪ.ə(r)/
- (US) IPA (key): /ˈlɔɪ.ɚ/ or /ˈlɔ.jɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: law‧yer
- (countable) (law) A lawyer is an expert in law. A lawyer has the job of standing for other people in court giving them advice about the law.
- Synonym: attorney
- The defendant got a lawyer to defend him in court.
- The lawyer represented the man in court.
- (intransitive) (informal) If someone lawyers, they work as a lawyer or practice law.
- (intransitive) If someone lawyers, they make arguments that are related to the law.