See also god
- (UK) enPR: gŏd, IPA: /ɡɒd/, SAMPA: /gQd/
- (US) IPA: /ɡɑd/, SAMPA: /gAd/
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- God is the single god of a religion.
- In Hinduism, the followers believe in numerous gods. In Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, the followers believe in only one God.
- God is the maker of the earth and of everything, according to certain religions and mythologies. Many of these religions also believe that God has an endless amount of power, kindness, and knowledge.
- Capital letter
- God normally has a capital letter at the start if there is only one God (God has a capital letter because it is used like a person's name). When talking about several gods, a small (lowercase) letter starts the word.
- God and Goddess
- God can be either male or female, but when talking about a female god, then the term goddess is often used instead.
- "God" is used when a person is surprised. Some people do not like to use this phrase, as they think this is blasphemy (an insult to God).
- Synonym: Lord
- Oh God, not that again!