Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Such a person or thing is that same kind that was mentioned before.
- There are times when the father is unknown. One such case happened recently. (= "when the father is unknown")
- A good teacher can usually be recognized as such. (= "as a good teacher")
- You use such as or such ... as to give one or more examples.
- Synonym: for example
- We always had pets, such as cats, dogs, and birds.
- This includes such costs as bus tickets, groceries, and restaurant meals.
- You use such to emphasize a description.
- My son had a party. You've never seen such a nice group of kids.
- When used with a/an, such comes before the determiner instead of so:
- She's such a nice doctor. (correct)
- *She's a such nice doctor. (incorrect)
- *She's a so nice doctor. (incorrect)