See also stakes
- A stick or rod with a sharp point. A stake is usually hammered into the ground. Often, the stake is tied to rope to connect something (like a tent) to the ground.
- We used four stakes to hold down our tent.
- It is said a stake though the heart will kill a vampire.
- The heretic was burned at the stake. (He was tied to very large stake (a pole) to be burned to death.)
- If you have a stake in something it is important to you. Usually, this means it will affect you in some way, so you have a good reason to be interested.
- I had a personal stake in hunger relief, since family had no food.
- We all have a stake in finding peace.
- Our company has a big stake in the findings, since we spent a lot of money on the research.
- To put a stake into something. Most often, you would put the stake in the ground, but it could be put in something else.