Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive & intransitive) When you serve food or drink, you give it to somebody to eat or drink, especially as a host.
- Shall I serve your drinks first?
- Lunch is served from 11:00 until 3:00.
- (transitive & intransitive) If something serves (as something), it used or useful for a certain purpose.
- This cup can serve as a holder for my paintbrushes.
- This program has served as a model for smaller enterprises throughout the state.
- His experiences during the war served as the basis for his book.
- The area is served by a number of schools.
- The law no longer serves the function it once did.
- (transitive & intransitive) When you serve (as something), you work.
- John served in the army.
- He served as the director of the company from 1992 until 2003.
- He serves the king.
- (transitive) If you serve time in prison, you stay there because you are a criminal.
- (transitive & intransitive) (sports) If you serve, in a game like tennis, you begin play by sending something like a ball over a net.
- (sports) A serve in a game like tennis is the action beginning of play by sending something like a ball over a net.
- Whose serve is it?
- That was a great serve!