Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /ˈsæŋktjʊəri/ or /ˈsæŋkt͡ʃʊəri/
- (US) IPA (key): /ˈsæŋkt͡ʃuˌɛri/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: sanc‧tu‧ary
- (countable) A sanctuary is a place of safety, refuge, or protection.
- Synonyms: haven, presbytery, refuge and shelter
- My car is a sanctuary, where none can disturb me except for people who cut me off.
- (countable) A sanctuary is an area set aside for protection.
- The bird sanctuary has strict restrictions on visitors so the birds aren't disturbed.
- (uncountable) Sanctuary is a state of being protected.
- Synonym: asylum
- The government granted sanctuary to the defector, protecting him from his former government.