Restraint is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (uncountable) Restraint is the quality people show when they don't do something they shouldn't do.
- You already ate too much cake. Now please show some restraint.
- (countable) A restraint is a strap or other thing that holds a person in place, like a seatbelt in a car or handcuffs that the police use to hold someone.
- A baby needs the right kind of restraint to ride safely in a car.
- (countable) A restraint is something that stops people from doing something.
- A legal restraint prevents him from going to meet his ex-girlfriend.