Register is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you register someone or something, you put their name on a list.
- I haven't registered for September classes yet.
- Please take a moment to register your software with the company.
- Our dog is registered with the city.
- (transitive) If you register a complaint, protest, etc. you make your opinion known formally.
- (transitive & intransitive) If something doesn't register, you don't notice it.
- I knew I had something else on, but I guess it just didn't register when I made the appointment.
- (transitive & intransitive) If a measuring instrument registers a value, it shows that value.
- The thermometer registered °.
- The change was so small that it didn't register.
- A register is an official list of names.
- On voting day, I found my name was not on the register and I couldn't vote.
- The government is reviewing the national register of births, deaths, and marriages.
- (linguistics) A register is a particular style of language used by a certain group of people or in certain situations.
- Speeches are usually given in a very formal, almost written register.
- (music) A register is a particular range of notes.
- The piano plays arpeggi in higher registers, accompanying the clarinet that plays the melody in full-blooded lower middle registers.
- A cash register is a machine in a shop that calculates total payment and holds money.