Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) enPR: rä′thə(r), IPA (key): /ˈrɑː.ðə/
- (US) enPR: răth′ər or rä′thər, IPA (key): /ˈræð.ɚ/
- (AU) enPR: rä’thə or răth’ə, IPA (key): /ˈraː.ðə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: rath‧er
- If something is rather large, different, difficult, etc., it is quite that way.
- I saw something rather unusual this morning.
- When you would rather do something, you want to do it more than something else.
- I would rather see a film (than stay home).
- instead of
- He went rather than stay behind and be alone.
- You use or rather to change what you have just said.
- I went there, or rather I had planned to go there, last week.
- You use rather to show that you agree strongly.
- "Did you like the movie?" "Rather!"