Audio (US) (file)
- If something is rather large, different, difficult, etc., it is quite that way.
- I saw something rather unusual this morning.
- When you would rather do something, you want to do it more than something else.
- I would rather see a film (than stay home).
- instead of
- He went rather than stay behind and be alone.
- You use or rather to change what you have just said.
- I went there, or rather I had planned to go there, last week.
- rather than is , not
- We're going to do it sooner rather than later.
- People who learn languages quickly are the exception rather than the rule.
- The prices are likely to increase rather than decrease.
- You use rather to show that you agree strongly.
- "Did you like the movie?" "Rather!"