- If something is proprietary, it is of or relating to property or ownership, as proprietary rights.
- If something is proprietary, it is of or relating to the quality of being an owner, as the proprietary class.
- If something is proprietary, it is manufactured exclusively by the owner of intellectual property rights (IPR), as with a patent or trade secret.
- The profitability of the company is based on its many proprietary products.
- The software is proprietary
- If something is proprietary, it is privately owned, as a proprietary lake.
- (of a person) If someone is proprietary, that person is possessive, jealous, or territorial.