Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /pɜːl/ or [pʰəːɫ]
- (US) IPA (key): /pɝl/ or [pʰɝɫ]
Audio (AU) (file)
- Homophone(s): purl
- (countable) A pearl is a round, white jewel that you get from inside of oysters.
- She bought a pearl necklace.
- (countable) A pearl is a kind of fish called the brill.
- (countable) A pearl is a light colored tern.
- (uncountable) Pearl is nacre or mother-of-pearl.
- If you pearl something, you adorn it with pearls.
- If you pearl something, you make it into small, round grains, as with barley.
- If you pearl, you go hunting for pearls; you go pearling.