- (countable) An orbit is a circular or elliptical path achieved by an object around another, generally bigger and/or more massive.
- The Earth's orbit around the sun is completed in nearly three hundred sixty-five days and a quarter of day.
- (countable) An orbit is also the hole in the skull containing the eyeball, and more generally the hole containing an eyeball, belonging or not to the skeleton.
- Cartoon characters sometimes have their eyeballs going out of their orbits in order to make their expression look caricatural and funny.
- (uncountable, metaphorical) An orbit can also be the sphere of influence a powerful person, organization or country can have.
- During the Cold War, almost all Eastern European countries were in the orbit of the USSR.