Jump to navigation Jump to search
Minority is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (RP) IPA: /maɪˈnɒɹ.ɪ.ti/ or /mɪˈnɒɹ.ɪ.ti/
- (GA) IPA: /maɪˈnɔɹ.ɪ.ti/ or /mɪˈnɔɹ.ɪ.ti/
Audio (US) (file)
- (countable) A minority is less than half (50%) of some group.
- Antonym: majority
- Most people agreed, but a sizable minority were upset by the decision.
- (countable) A minority is a member of an ethnic group that does not have political or social power.
- The company claims it has hired several minorities since the complaint was lodged.
- (uncountable) Minority is the state of being a minor, not an adult.