- (transitive) If you maintain something, you keep it at the same level.
- Who's more likely to maintain the status quo?
- UN forces will be used to help maintain stability in the area after the war.
- It's so important to maintain balance in all areas of your life.
- Vitamin B12 helps maintain healthy red blood cells in the body.
- Cook, maintaining a temperature of 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- (transitive) If you maintain something, you say or write that it's a fact.
- Ford maintains the cars are safe.
- They have all hired lawyers and all three maintain their innocence.
- (transitive) If you maintain a machine, you keep it working well and fix it when it breaks.
- There was lots of money to buy the machines, but no money was available to maintain them.