- enPR: lĭs'ən or lĭs'n, IPA (key): /ˈlɪs.ən/ or [ˈlɪs.n̩]
Audio (UK) (file) Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: lis‧ten
- (intransitive) If you listen to something, you try to hear and understand it.
- Shhh! Listen! Did you hear that?
- She listened carefully to what he said, but it was hard to understand.
- OK, listen up. Here's what we'll do...
- (intransitive) If you listen to someone, you agree with them, believe them, or do what they tell you.
- Don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
- If you listen to your mother, you won't go wrong.
- (countable) If you give something a listen, you try to hear and understand it.
- Do you want to have a listen to this new band?