Jump to navigation Jump to search
Isolate is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- If you isolate something, you make it so that it does not or cannot contact certain other things.
- We want to isolate ourselves from everyday worries.
- The prisoner was isolated to protect him from attack.
- Britain is isolated from the rest of Europe by the Channel.
- (countable) An isolate is something that does not or cannot contact certain other things.
- A total of 296 isolates were recovered from 105 patients, 79 (75%) of whom were infected with mycobacteria.
- (linguistics) An isolate is a language that has no known relatives.