Generation is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) A generation, is all the people or things of about the same age.
- My father belonged to a generation of travellers who saw the world before there was a McDonalds on every corner.
- (countable) A generation is the average time between one when group of people were born and when their children were born, roughly 20–30 years.
- During previous generations, travel was not so easy.
- (countable) A class or type of objects usually developed from an earlier type.
- A new generation of personal computers is about to hit the stores.
- (uncountable) Generation is the creation of something, often electricity.
- The increase in new power generation has not kept up with demand for electricity.