Format is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) The format of some writing is the way it is organized: the size and colour of the letters, the way it is divided into parts, the kind of words used.
- What format do you want the report written in?
- (countable) (computers) The format of some writing is the kind of computer program you need to be able to read it.
- I can't read that page you sent me. My computer doesn't read that format.
- (countable) Something's format is its style, type, organisation, etc.
- The format of the meeting will be quite casual.
- (transitive) Someone formats some writing when make it have a particular format.
- How should I format the report?
- (transitive) (computers) Someone formats a computer disk when they prepare a disk for writing and reading.
- You need to format the disk before you can copy those files onto it.