Finite is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- If something is finite, it has a limit. It doesn't keep going forever.
- This problem has a finite number of correct answers.
- There is a finite amount of energy in the universe.
- (grammar) A finite clause is one that has a verb in present or past tense or is imperative or subjunctive.
- Main clauses are always finite, but subordinate clauses can be finite or non-finite.
- In the sentence "I want to go to the store", "I want" is a finite verb clause but "to go to the store" is not, because it doesn't say who is doing it: it is not limited to one subject.
- In the sentence "I took the book that was on the table", "I took the book" is a finite verb clause and "that was on the table" is also a finite verb clause because it is limited to the subject "that".