Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /fɔːlt/ or /fɒlt/, SAMPA: /fO:lt/
- (US) IPA (key): /fɔːlt/ or /fɑːlt/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- (uncountable) If something is your fault, you did something wrong or didn't do something right.
- It doesn't matter whose fault it is, let's work together to make it right.
- I'm sorry. It's my fault. I forgot to turn it off.
- It's clear that both sides are at fault.
- (countable) A fault is a problem or a mistake.
- We found a few faults in the plan, but we'll fix them later.
- (countable) A fault in your character is something about you that is not nice or good.
- The other girls thought that her only fault was that she was really stupid.
- (countable) A fault is a long crack in the earth.
- The earthquake occurred near the San Andreas fault.
- (countable) (sports) In sports like tennis or volleyball, a fault is hitting the ball in the wrong way, or to or from the wrong place.
- (transitive) If you fault somebody for something bad, you say they did something wrong or didn't do something right.
- You can't fault him for not knowing about the change.