- An effect is something that is caused by something else.
- Synonym: result
- Antonym: cause
- If a law, agreement, change, etc. takes effect, it officially begins.
- The closing of the company takes effect at midnight.
- The new rules have been in effect since January.
- A sound effect is a way to make a sound for a performance artificially.
- The used a lot of normal materials to create the sound effects for the show.
- A special effect is a way to make an image for a performance artificially.
- They didn't really cut his hand off, but the special effect made it look real.
- If you effect a change, you make it happen.
- I will effect the change without your help.