Jump to content
- (uncountable) Defense is the process of protecting.
- The secretary of defense met with the president at the White House.
- Airplanes attacked the Ministry of Defense in Tehran.
- Clinton's lawyers will lay out his defense next week.
- Police officers can only shoot in self defense or to protect another person's life.
- When he was accused, his friends and even some people who have never met him rushed to his defense.
- (uncountable), (law) In a court case, the defense is the person who was accused of a crime together with their lawyer.
- His defense lawyers say that Honecker did not shoot the gun.
- (countable & uncountable), (sports) The defense is the players who are supposed to stop the other team from scoring points.
- I wasn't very satisfied with the play of our offense, but our defense played great.