Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable); (singular) The contrary is the opposite of an idea, sentence, etc.
- It is best to believe people are good, at least until the contrary is shown.
- This is not necessarily bad; on the contrary, it is sometimes quite useful.
- If an act or idea is contrary to something, it is against it.
- The president's actions are contrary to the constitution and therefore illegal.
- You use "contrary to , " when people believe , but in fact is true.
- Contrary to popular belief, Eskimos don't have huge numbers of 'snow' words.
- What she told me was contrary to everything I had ever heard.
- "On the contrary",which is from Hamlet
- A contrary view, sentence, etc. is opposite to other ones.
- The contrary view is that these kind of projects are a waste of money.
- The only thoughts he had were contrary ones.
- A contrary person tries to be different from other people or does not often agree with others.