Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /kənˈsjuːm/, SAMPA: /k@n"sju:m/
- (US) enPR: kən-so͞om, IPA (key): /kənˈsuːm/, SAMPA: /k@n"su:m/
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) If you consume energy, resources, time, etc., you use it and it is no longer available.
- Only 10% of the energy consumed by a light bulb produces usable light.
- Most of our leisure time is consumed by TV.
- (transitive) If you consume alcohol, food, etc., you eat or drink it.
- They discovered that about half the calories consumed by an adult bat are used up during flight.
- Pregnant women should not consume alcohol.
- Many people do not consume adequate amounts of food for good health.
- (transitive) If a fire consumes something, it burns it until it's gone.
- In 1988 a fire consumed about half of the park's trees.
- (transitive) If you are consumed by a thought or idea, you cannot think about anything else.
- Our minds were consumed by the things we saw and dreamed of having.