Conceive is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive & intransitive) If you can conceive of a certain situation, you can imagine it.
- I just can't conceive of life without you.
- Can you conceive what life would have been like in that time?
- (intransitive) Someone conceives of an idea when they think of the idea for the first time, and it's their idea: they thought of it themselves, no one told them.
- The planners first conceived of the idea of making a large, curved building here in 1998.
- I can't conceive of any way of getting there before 5:00.
- (transitive) A woman (or a man and a woman?) conceives a baby when she becomes pregnant (starts to carry a tiny baby inside her).
- The baby was conceived the day we went to Niagara Falls.