- (UK) IPA: /ˌkɒmpəˈtɪʃən/, SAMPA: /%kQmp@"tIS@n/
- (US) IPA: /ˌkɑːmpəˈtɪʃən/, SAMPA: /%kA:mp@"tIS@n/
- Audio (US)help, file
- (countable & uncountable) Competition is a situation or event in which people or groups try to succeed over each other.
- With increasing international competition, companies are cutting costs to survive.
- Brasil is playing in this year's World Cup competition in Italy.
- (uncountable) The competition is the individual or group that is trying to succeed against you.
- Because the competition has lowered prices, we have to do the same.
- The competition has been preparing for this game all year.