Jump to navigation Jump to search
Capacity is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable & uncountable); (singular) The capacity of a container, room, etc. is how much it can hold.
- The capacity of the bottle is 500 .
- The capacity of the hard drive is 120 GB.
- I'm sorry, this pool only has a capacity of 100 people and I can't let any more in.
- If you fill it to capacity, you won't be able to carry it.
- (countable) The capacity of someone or something to do something is the ability to do it.
- I was impressed by his energy and capacity for hard work.
- Since the head injury he has lost his capacity to learn new names.
- (uncountable) The capacity of a factory or business is how much it can produce.
- It will soon be necessary to increase capacity at our Toronto plant to meet Canadian demand for the product.
- (countable) If someone does something in a particular capacity, they are doing it in that role.
- I am not writing to you in my capacity as your doctor, but as a friend.
- Sometimes I make decisions in my capacity as father that I don't like in my capacity as husband.
- He's been hired in a temporary capacity.