Audio (US) (file)
- (countable) A bonnet is a brimless hat of cloth or straw worn by women and children that covers the hair and ears but not the forehead and is tied under the chin
- (countable) chiefly Scottish: A seamless woven cap worn by Scottish men and boys; a Tam o'Shanter
- (countable) British: An automobile hood
- (countable) British: A metal covering or cowl for a heater, a ventilator, a fireplace, etc.
- A baby bonnet is sometimes given as a gift to the parents of a newborn.
- She lifted the automobile's bonnet to check the engine.
Tam o'Shanters of various tartans are bonnets
Eighteenth century French women wearing bonnets
Old woman in sunbonnet by Doris Ulmann, about 1930
A girl wearing a baby bonnet
Mme. de Pompadour wearing a bonnet